Twice in a Day

I haven't done this in a long time. In fact, there seems to be a lot of things that I haven't done in a long time. Such as...making dumplings. Not the frozen kind. I mean the actual homemade ones. The last time I did that was about a whole decade ago, probably longer than that, even. I remember way back then, my sister and I used to stay up later than usual to make dumplings and such with our dad. (sigh) That was a very long time ago...
And today, we're making dumplings. I think. My dad's out buying stuff, so...we'll see how it turns out. If it does turn out to turn out, that is.

I think I'll start my homework after I do this, seeing as how I don't have much to do anyway. I mean, I could always pay that visit to my actual journal... Now that I just mentioned it, I probably will. Write with a pen, I mean. And not just for homework. (Have I ever mentioned how much I dislike writing with pencil? Oh, wait, I have. In that one entry in which I complained about English homework.)

So I went to LA Youth at 1:00. It was nice, because I hadn't gone since last August or something like that. Even though it's been so long, everything is still the same. In a lot of ways, I love how some things stay the same no matter how much time has passed since last. On the other hand, I also love how things (and people) can change and improve. It's really nice how life works. Anyway, about LA Youth. The meeting was okay, just like usual. I got to talk about a few things with my editor, so it was all good. After it was over and I went downstairs and was getting into the car, my mom asked, "Are you happy?" I don't know if she meant it sarcastically, but I replied, "Why would I be happy?" Something like that. But now, I guess I am sort of glad that I went. Just to show up and see what's going on and whatnot.
On the way home, we were on Beverly Boulevard, and considering that I like seeing new things (and meeting new people), I was looking around. Like always during a car ride... So I noticed this one corner pharmacy called "Ethical Drugs". It was hilarious. But not the hilarious that makes me laugh inwardly. Just the "I can't believe they named their store that!" hilarious. Then we passed by a place that I've seen quite a few times before on the way home from school on the late bus. It was a pawn shop next to a shop that sells bridal dresses. The first time I noticed that on the school bus, I told the person I was sitting with that it was very interesting. Someone could buy a bridal dress there, and right next door, you sell your engagement ring! I love how contradicting things are, and how most people don't realize it.

It occurred to me at some point last night that I have had quite a number of "one-day friends." For example, one day at the library, I was just sitting there in the teen section, completely engrossed in a magazine or book, and all of a sudden, this girl asks me to watch her stuff while she goes to the restroom. And what could I have said? No, I won't watch your stuff for you? So she left her stuff next to me. And when she came back, she introduced herself, and then we got to talking about stuff that seemingly close friends would talk about. The conversation went on for about an hour or so... It seemed like a long time. At one point, we exchanged numbers and screennames. Then I had to go, so I left. I did add her on my buddy list, but I never IMed her, nor she me. I had to check my phone to see if I still have her number, because I remember one time, I looked at it and seriously considered deleting it, since I haven't seen or talked to her since that day anyway. I still have her number afterall. Another instance would be at Deca competition in late January. I met her outside of my speech room, and we got to talking because she'd read my resume and was interested in something on it. I gave her my email in case she wanted to ask me any more questions or anything. And guess what. She never contacted me. Oh well. It's funny (but not in the laughing manner) how ephemeral certain friendships are. Like, you meet a person, you're friends. You don't see them anymore after that, and you're strangers once again.
Oh, this is the perfect time for one of my favorite quotes:
"...because nothing is permanent. Especially people. Strangers become friends. Friends become lovers. Lovers become strangers. Stranger become friends once more, and over and over."
That was in my headline thing before, but I'd replaced it with the current one a while ago.
Furthermore, it's interesting in the same way how the people I've known the longest, I barely know. I mean, I have friends whom I have known since elementary school, yet I barely or rarely ever talk to them. Then again, I do consider them close friends. I guess we're close as in "close distance" (oxymoron!) and having stayed in the same school until present. Or close as in we're able to say that we've known each other for so long. But really. The realization that I barely know much about some of my supposedly closest friends is quite sad. On the other hand, I do have some that I know very well. And this may or may not seem cliche (accent over the "e"!) to say, but sometimes I can actually predict what they're going to do or say. Oh, wow. That was somewhat of a rhyme. Anyway, friendship is a complicated thing from time to time. It's lovely, but complicated.
But what in life isn't?

I wonder how people get to know people. I mean, of course, there's talking. But I highly doubt getting-to-know-one-another talks involve numerous back and forth questions like, "What's your favorite color?" "Blue. What's yours?" "Oh, mine too!" "Do you have any pets?" etcetera, etcetera. Maybe people get to know each other simply by talking about anything. And, if they actually listen to what the other person says, they can tell how they are, what they're like through responses and such. It's amazing how people function in that way.
Sociology!
My favorite part of psychology was social psychology. It was fun and easy to comprehend. There are people who sit in large, crowded places (i.e., the mall) and simply observe people. I like to do that. Well, of course, I don't just sit there and watch and write things down. That'd be plain weird. When I'm at a market, I like to look at what people buy, and try to imagine what their lives are like. Or even in the parking lot at Costco, since people always take so freaking long to transfer their merchandise from the shopping cart into their automobile trunk. Often, I come up with all these seemingly crazy stories just to amuse the fellow car-passengers and myself. But hey, they may not be so crazy afterall, because they could just be true.

As I was changing to go out around noon, I somehow got to thinking about the viola. I had heard some musical sound that seemed to come from a violin or something like that, actually. It was probably just me, though. Anyway, I thought, "Hmm, I haven't played my viola in a LONG time!" The last time I played it was in eighth grade at the spring concert, most likely. Or, for a few days following that. I think I was okay at it, not as good as I was always told that I was. I'd never really believed my fellow orchestra classmates when they said, "Oh, you're so good at viola!" Pftt. I was only better than the TWO other people there. How good can that possibly be?
I miss that. Orchestra, I mean. Especially the advanced orchestra of 2005. That was the best year of middle school for me. Seventh grade, I made a lot of friends who became very important to me. That was probably the first time I realized how important friends were, too. Contradictingly (probably not a word, but according to the Wendynary, it now is), that was also the year when I hated everything and everyone on and off. I'd frequently say, "I hate the whole world." Things like that. Even though it was probably the best school year I'd ever had. But just because it was the best doesn't mean that everything was always good. Needless to say, negative situations and matters did occur. It just so happens that I don't remember them. Much. That year was truly one of the most important in my life. I learned a lot of new things, and surprisingly, I learned a lot of those new things from my friends. I gained wisdom (however less so it may have been) and began to think about life on a more profound basis. (Disregard the "I hate the world" part in this case.)
Notice I've never said that I hate LIFE. What I used to say was, again, I hate the world. Or the people in it, things that happen. I don't hate life, and I certainly don't hate my life.
I'll just put it out there. It bothers me when people say that they hate their lives. A lot of people these days don't realize how fortunate they are to be living the lives that they have. And even if you don't like your life, you can change it. Honestly, there's not nothing you can do to change your life. One little thing can make a big difference. We all should know that by now. It's a matter of how you handle things and how you take the consequences. And don't say that nobody cares, because there is always somebody who cares a whole lot more than you can ever imagine. If you have problems, talk about them with somebody. It never has to be a therapist or any other professional. Talking ought to be free (free speech! pun intended). I guarantee that talking does help. It relieves burdens and takes a whole lot off your shoulders. Trust me, I wouldn't fabricate about things like this. Talking, writing, whatever way you want to express everything that you keep inside of yourself. It's terrible to bottle everything up inside of you, because it might just so happen that one day, when you do want to talk or anything, you don't know where or how to start, because it's such a long story, so you end up not saying or doing anything at all. (That was a run-on, but it had meaning, so I'll disregard that bad structure this time.)

If that seemed like sad stuff, I can come up with more by request! (Just kidding.)
I was being serious about all that, though. The previous long paragraphs, I mean.

I'm listening to a new song right now. (Title temporarily censored.) Actually, I've been listening to this same song for about an hour now. I love how music sets a mood. Music inspires me, to make yet another long story short. This particular song makes me kind of sad, which led me to so elaborately detail the previous topic.

Right, so now I remember what else I'd wanted to say about friendship. Rather recently, I heard from somewhere that friendships are based on mutual need. I'd never thought about it in those terms before, but once I heard that, I immediately considered it so very true. Often, people are "friends" only because they need each other's help; otherwise, they don't talk or have any form of communication. That's the kind of friendship I don't like. Those aren't even friends. They're acquaintances by mutual need.

From time to time, I wonder what life will be like ten years from now. Not as in technological advancements (Who cares?) or scientific discoveries or anything like that. I mean, will I still be friends with the same people? Will we have lost our connections? What will everybody I know now be doing then? Stuff like that. And I know this may seem strange, but sometimes I keep old friends' / acquaintances' contacts because I think that I may want/need, respectively, them in the future, however far away into it it may unfold to be. I'm sorry if that didn't make sense. I don't really know how else to word it. The thought seemed so prolific in my mind when I first thought about that a year or two ago. And a long time later, I'm writing it here. (Insert "lol.")

On a sharply contrasting note, I really like the spring. I don't mind that it's darker for longer in the morning. I like that it's still bright at like, seven in the evening. Summer nights are wonderful. I mean, evenings. Albeit the insane heat here in sunny Los Angeles, California.
Haha, it just occurred to me that the sun could be biased. It shines more brightly here in Cali than it does in say, Alaska. But obviously, that doesn't make sense, because according to astronomy, it's some...astronomy thing. I don't remember much from eighth grade science. Astronomy was the last unit we worked on before the school year ended and I left middle school. Middle school was nice. Most of the time when I reminisce about it, it's...Well, usually it's about orchestra. And seventh grade. But I shall not get back on that topic. Because I was originally talking about the springtime! Anyway, I really like the spring.
Oh, oops. I talked about insane heat while talking about spring. I meant the heat for summer. Or, well, actually, it could go for spring, as well... Huh.

Wow, the scrollbar to the side of this box in which I am typing is getting to be very...small? Meaning I've written a lot. This is probably the longest full entry (as in, very few "enters" and line breaks due to poems) I've done to date. It's cool. I didn't even expect to write so much when I first began about an hour and a half, possibly two hours ago.
I guess this just goes to show how much I wanted or had to say after all this time.
But don't worry, there is always more. Know why? Because it's me :)


P.S.
I was walking to first period yesterday, and I passed by a lot of people, one of whose black T-shirt with white text caught my eye. Well, not the person, but his shirt, okay? It said, "I think, Therefore we have nothing in common." I loved that! I pointed it out to my friend, who I was walking with at the moment, and she laughed and then went on to comment about how amusing my away messages are sometimes.
Anyway, I just thought I'd share that T-shirt bit with you, since it was so amusing for myself. Hopefully, it was amusing for you, as well, if the rest of this post hadn't already amused you in any way.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Things I Wish I'd Known