Today

I was happy today. Until about 4:40 P.M. when I finally gathered the courage to check my email and faced disappointment. I wasn't selected to be a Questbridge finalist. I cried for a few minutes, but you know what? I'm okay. Questbridge was simply an opportunity I chose to take and to work hard to qualify for, but not becoming a finalist is not the end of the world. It's just the end of the program for me. It's okay, because everything comes to an end, and it's not necessarily always a happy ending. You just cannot expect that all the time. So here I continue with my Common Application for regular decision, and here I continue to work hard to achieve my goals. I will get into at least one of the schools that I ranked, and I will be happy regardless of rejection notices, because in the end, everything works out just fine.
Congratulations to H and A, two people I have known all along would succeed in this and I know will continue to succeed in everything else they strive for. As well as to everybody else, whether or not they qualified, whether or not they applied.

So that was my somber and serious part of tonight's post.

On a much, much brighter note, parts of what made me happy today include:
In first period, M told me that she started a blog because of me. It wasn't the first time somebody told me that, but it was the first time in a long time. I was surprised, but very pleasantly so, because it is such a heartwarming feeling to know that I, in a way, inspire people to try new things with my passion, my words, and my...well, you get the point. K also mentioned that she loves (reading) my blog. Undoubtedly, that, too, was nice. I wonder how many people even keep up with my blog nowadays anyway, since I rarely ever update anymore.
At lunch, I went into the College Office just to see how it was going with the CSUN representative, C. So I chatted with him for a few minutes, and apparently, he is majoring in...something and minoring in English. I told him I'm going to major in English and journalism and minor in Spanish and study abroad in Spain, and he was quite surprised. Then he said, "I like your shirt" in Spanish to test me. Haha. So, that was a very pleasant chat; I always like meeting people with the same academic interests as me. Not saying that I dislike meeting those with dissimilar interests. Academic diversity--diversity of any kind--is an excellent thing!
On to sixth period, where the "old" people basically got to do nothing, which is new and not unwelcome. I edited K's personal statement (the prompt about your background and how it's shaped your aspirations and life) and analyzed it for her and whatnot. And when I told her to not worry because she has absolutely everything she needs in there, she said that I look so much into it that I can find things even she herself cannot. In the end, I declared that I would admit her to my college (if I was rich enough to establish one, you know), and she said that that comment meant a lot coming from me. And I really meant it; I can be detrimentally merciless, but otherwise, I am welcomingly sincere.
In addition to those were the few compliments I received about my personal statement about significant experience(s). Seemingly, it's "amazing". Quite frankly, I don't think so, but that's what they said, so that's what I will relay here and believe in my heart as I persevere in this college application process and whatnot. Essentially, it's just unbelievably, absolutely splendid and blissful to know that I have one thing I know for sure that I am good at, one thing I know for sure that I can receive praise for. Generally, I say that I do not believe in luck (never owe your accomplishments to luck; owe them to your efforts), but at this point, I feel so lucky to know for certain the one thing I have most passion for, the one thing I will never stop doing, and that is, if it isn't obvious, to write. It is in this way that I am better off than at least a handful of people who have no idea whatsoever where their interests lie and where they should go without a clue. And it is in this way, among many others, of course, that I feel blessed. Perhaps I should thank my third grade teacher for helping me realize my passion so early on. So, to Mrs. Ellen Inafuku, thank you ever so much, and may you rest in peace.
Oh, and one last part of today that cheered me up after I read the email was being home, loosely speaking. Thank you for the consolation and for bearing with my (expected) outburst. Then for the yummy sandwich and iced coffee. All very much appreciated. But when will I get to play with the PS3?!
Speaking of thanks... Also thank you to everybody who believes in me and supports me in everything I do. I promise that in the very end, I won't disappoint!

Hmm, there was something else that I was going to say, but my mind wandered for a few seconds. Oh, look at that! I just got a Facebook (ha) comment about my essay... well, about me being an amazing writer. I don't believe people know exactly how much these comments mean to me. But, just to let you all know, they truly do mean A LOT.

It is currently 9:04 P.M. and usually I would be participating in some random game at ROCK at this time, but there's no ROCK tonight, which isn't particularly a bad thing because I need the rest anyway.

Oh, and about an hour ago, I received an email from Zinch.com notifying that I am a semi-finalist for one of the scholarships. Which is what I mean by: "It's okay. One thing goes, another comes. That's just the way life works." I fall, but I bounce back up. And I am particularly proud to say that I am quite good at that. ("Resilients" still isn't a legitimate noun, by the way...) Anyway, I suppose that the primary point of this paragraph is that there are always other opportunities and pathways to get to your destination. Just because one door closes does not mean all else will too. Life isn't that mean to us.

Yesterday, I took several pictures, a few of which I am especially proud of. But for security and copyright purposes, I'm going to wait a few months before I post them up. Not that I don't trust you, but... Okay, I don't trust you. Haha. Just kidding!

This weekend, I shall...
Saturday: go out someplace, hang out, take more pictures (hopefully), start bio corrections.
Sunday: run the La Puente 10K, finish up bio corrections, then continue applications.

Okay, I shall end here for tonight and update whenever else I can.

"Opportunity is a parade. Even as one chance passes, the next is a fife and drum echoing in the distance."
-Robert Brault

Comments

Mon said…
Although you get this quite often, your writing never ceases to amaze me. Even talk to Andy Situ! Once I began reading your personal statement I said : "this one is different - this one has personality."

Keep at it! :)

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Things I Wish I'd Known