Promises

I wish people would do better jobs of and put more effort into keeping the promises that they make. Maybe some people don't care about promises, but I'm certainly not one of those people. If you promise me something and you end up not committing to it, I am not a happy camper, because essentially, you have lied to me. Unless you have tried your hardest to keep said promise, there's no good reason why you should back out on your word. Word. That's important to me, not because I'm an English major, but because I believe communication is the most imperative aspect to any relationship. Word equals communication, communication equals importance, word equals importance. Exchange promise for word and there you have it.
Although I deem such weighty significance to a promise, I will admit that I used to always tell myself, "A promise is meant to be made and meant to be broken." In other words, promises mean nothing. For a while now, though, I have questioned that. A promise is meant to be kept! It shouldn't be so carelessly and recklessly tossed out like trash. It's meaningful. Or, it should be.
And you don't have to say "I promise" in order to have made a promise. If you committed to something, you're committed, and backing out without ever having tried becomes inexplicably inexcusable.
So, don't promise me something if you do not plan on going about it and actually keeping it. Because that would only reinforce and even enhance my occasionally bleakly cynical but realistic perspective of life.
Thanks.

In other news, work has been good. I worked this Thursday to cover for somebody who called out a day early, but as of right now, my July working schedule runs only from Monday through Wednesday, 9:45 a.m. to 5:15 p.m. Although that is far, far from what I asked for, I will accept it for now, until after I take a shot a another internship opportunity. But who knows? Maybe I won't even take that shot and just ask for more hours at the Science Center. Each day at work passes by differently because I'm in a different place almost every day. I suppose that's the purpose of the supervisors stationing us at various places--so we don't get bored and begin to complain. One of the outstanding lessons I have learned from working thus far is how much parents would do for their children. It isn't that I have never considered that before. It's simply that I had never observed it for seven hours at a time. For example, yesterday at the earthquake simulator in Creative World 2, parents lined up for up to an hour because their kids wanted to feel a simulated earthquake. And the earthquake lasts for a total of about half a minute, with a six-minute or so video. If that isn't an example of commitment and dedication to their kids, I don't know what is.

Let's talk commitment. I used to have a personal conflict with commitment. I could never stick to one interest, one activity, one crush for too long because I always got so bored of everything so quickly. The first step I took to solving that was joining Deca. What a funny way to go about solving a commitment issue, huh? It worked, though. Even though from time to time I got tired of studying so much and of taking care of thousands of pages of information around, I stuck with it because I was trying to discipline myself. To make a long story short, I learned commitment, and I learned that it takes time and patience. I suppose that over the past three to four years, I have resolved my commitment issues. And I cannot say that that is a bad thing.

I really should read. Last summer, I read maybe one book. Two, at most. I really, really should read, even if it's just young adult fiction. Or mystery. Or whatever else. I NEED TO READ. I have a five-tier bookshelf with three tiers of fictional books, probably at least a fourth of which are new books that I still have yet to touch aside from taking them out of the shelves at Borders and putting them into my shelf. That is very bad.

Today, I got my last annual physical check-up and my last required shot for college. My right arm does feel sore/ bruised right now, so I have to keep rubbing it and make sure it doesn't swell or anything. This last shot didn't hurt nearly as much as all the others, and I wonder why. Anyway, my doctor asked me about school and college and all that. In the middle, he said that today would be the last time I see him if I don't have to bring him any forms to fill out before college. He has been my pediatric doctor since the very beginning, and now that I'm well over eighteen years of age, I should not go to him anymore. He also brooded aloud about how heavy and thick my medical chart has become, to which I said, "Well, yes, it HAS been eighteen years." It's been so long, in fact, that my age doesn't even appear on the height/ weight/ age ratio chart! After asking a series of more questions, he commented, "Well, it seems that you are growing up well," and at the end, he said, "Good luck," and exited the room. :(
On a slightly brighter note... He also said that I could continue to grow (in height) if I continue running and exercising. He predicted an apex of 5'8". So watch out!

Let's leave it at that bright note.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Things I Wish I'd Known