Nomadic

Before moving into our apartment in PDR in March, M and I had planned to split our time between our houses in OC and LA and commute to work from wherever we were any given day. But that never really happened, because right after that decision, we found this apartment. And frankly, I'm kind of glad it hadn't happened, because I do not enjoy any commute that involves the 405, the 110, or the 10.

Weird, though, because in the past month, I have noticed how nomadic our lifestyle is, despite having "found our own place." Almost every Friday, we'd pack our duffle bags and get into the car early afternoon before rush hour or late evening after rush hour to go somewhere--his parents' house, my parents' house, Sacramento, Joshua Tree, somewhere random. And when we came back on Sunday night, we'd exhaustedly toss our duffle bags onto the living room floor, putting off unpacking for a couple of days--only to have to repack on that very Friday. At some point, we had reached an unspoken agreement to just leave our bags packed the entire week. That way, we'd be ready to go at any moment. If that isn't nomadic, I don't know what is.

And it's rather convenient to just have a bag filled with clothes, shoes, and chargers, ready to go somewhere for the weekend. But it dawned on me just this morning that maybe this is why I've been feeling so emotionally/ mentally unsettled lately--because I've been physically unsettled. As much as I love to stay active, move around, and go places, I probably need to settle down and give myself some stability and calm first. PDR is a beautiful place, and I should give myself the chance to stay here for an entire weekend and really immerse in my environment without worrying about getting from point A to point B to wherever else and back. I realize now that that gets exhausting. And that's likely why I have been so exhausted, emotionally and physically.

That's not necessarily to say that I'm going to sit at home for the entire weekend, though. It just means not picking up my duffle bag, not bringing stuff to and from my car, and not driving 50+ miles. There's a farmer's market here that I really enjoy, an LA Fitness with a pool I should practice in, a hiking trail overlooking the wetlands... So many things to do, places to go, and people to see here. In allowing myself to settle into the area, I will also settle down emotionally/ mentally/ psychologically. Hopefully.

And I'd love to start this weekend, but of course I have commitments the entire Saturday, thereby perpetuating this entire dilemma. Maybe next weekend.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Don't