Lessons and Doings


  1. Timing is everything. The best and most perfect things can happen, but even the wrong day of the week can demolish all of that. It doesn't necessarily mean that the happiness from said best and perfect occurrences will be sucked away, but it does mean that plans won't be, well, as planned. And you just have to be okay with that and accept that if the timing is right, things will fall back into place, and perhaps the level of happiness will even be magnified. In the meantime, explore and do what you love.
  2. Do what you love. I've heard so many times that if you do what you love, you never have to work a day in your life. I'd like to confirm the semi-truth of that statement. I've been unemployed for the first time since high school for the past two months, and have never been more content with my life. Granted, when I see the disparities between my W-2s and my bank statements, my heart does a free-fall--a plummet, actually--into an abyss of disbelief. And then I get over it, because I have had the time to do all of the things I enjoy that I never gave myself the opportunity to, between a full-time course load and two part-time jobs during school and then the direct transition into a full-time job right afterward. In fact, I enjoy it so much that I have begun to delude myself into thinking that I don't even need a real job...
  3. But on the same note as No. 2, I recently picked up tutoring. I used to work primarily with elementary school students with P. WILD, and then worked briefly with high school students at Uni High, but had never directly tutored high school student in English, geometry, and PSAT. The math aspect of everything is still rather frightening, but being able to teach the subject I love--English--is purely enlightening. I used to think that the best moments during teaching were the ones of "Ah!" from a sudden understanding of a topic. But lately, I have realized that the transition from quietness to openness in communication makes a world of difference, as well. Knowing that a student understands and can execute something means a lot, of course, but then watching them transition from a silent shrug to an active discussion over the course of a few tutoring sessions is immensely encouraging. I love it, and I love all my kids, no mater what grade and what age.
  4. Puppies are wonderful. My family recently got a German shepherd puppy, and I fell in love all over again. She is absolutely adorable, and the love--I can't say it's unconditional--we get from her and the opportunity for us to love her back is amazing. Until a few years ago, I was deathly afraid of dogs of all sizes. And now I have a difficult time leaving Avery for a few hours. Also, I now understand why couples get a dog together before having kids. In some ways, it's harder to care for a dog, which is something else I didn't expect. She pees and poops anywhere she pleases! At least that can be contained for a baby... Relatively.
  5. There is therapy to be found in the arts and humanities: literature, music, photography... It's endless. I suppose this goes back to No. 2, which is to do the things you love. I've been reading more, and of course have been analyzing the heck out of every passage, being the English major I am, and using that to explain the novel and its intricacies to my student. And again, it's wonderful when he not only understands my explanations, but also contributes insight to them. In addition, music is blissful. I regret having stopped practicing piano in high school, but it isn't impossible to pick back up. I'm starting to relearn my favorite piece, Moonlight Sonata by Beethoven, and despite the many moments of discordance, my soul just feels right when I finally strike the right chords together. 
  6. On a similar note as No. 5, friends are also therapeutic. And they're free! Except when they're busy. "Refreshing" is the best description I can provide with regards to suddenly opening yourself up in availability--in time and emotion--to the people who care about you. And on that note, it's so nice to know that people care about you, because sometimes you get stuck thinking that you care too much for others and don't see the reciprocation, subsequently landing in what eventually becomes a bitter view of the world. And who needs that? (We do, however, need realist perspectives, so don't become overly optimistic now, y'all.)
  7. And then there are those that can't forgive and forget. Sometimes, that's perfectly understandable. Other times, it's not, so do everything in your own power to relieve yourself of whatever guilt or blame remains, and let it go. The other party can choose to move on or stay put, but don't let that hinder you from forming other relationships or embarking on other adventures. 
  8. It is what it is. I've discussed before that so many of our surroundings and our actions and reactions are within our reach and control, but for all that isn't, we simply have to accept. Things are the way they are, and it's generally easier to go with the flow and not make a ruckus out of an already peaceful situation.
  9. A peaceful mind leads to contentedness. For the past few weeks, my mind had been befuddled and bewildered with all-over-the-place anxiety. But approximately 36 hours ago, I somehow came to peace with everything that's gone down, and I am simply content right now. A peaceful mind also provides the clarity with which I was able to finally write here again. However, a sleepy mind refuses to reread and proofread the entire post, and will now click "publish" and go to bed.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Don't