Being Twenty-Something

Growing up, I couldn't wait to be 20 years old. I thought the 20-something years would be the best, primarily because of:

driving: You can go anywhere, any time you want. Even carrying around a car key makes you look cool. Imagine actually driving the car.
Having to drive every day now, and I often wish I didn't have to. Traffic is such a nightmare, gas is nightmarishly costly, LA parking is a hassle, other drivers are an even bigger hassle. It's just so stressful, and childhood me never suspected such a characteristic of driving.

working, making money: You make your own money, so you can do what you want with it. In fact, the more you make, the more you can spend (on clothes)!
Not as easy or simple as it used to sound. I neglected the first step of this process, which is to find a job. And even afterward, money still doesn't come easy. I also neglected paying bills, something a child doesn't necessarily think about when dreaming about the future. And on this note, saving also doesn't come easy, as one also has to pay for tuition, rent, etc. Boy, did life got expensive after adolescence.

traveling: The only international trips we took were to China when I was three and Mexico every once in a while. I didn't like the latter, never remembered the former. I told people I wanted to travel to Paris--naïve, cliché me.
I think I've done my fair share of traveling in the past two years: Guangzhou/ Shanghai in 2011, Stratford-upon-Avon/ London/ Paris/ Barcelona in 2012, San Francisco twice in the last six months, Portland just two weeks ago, and countless times in San Diego... Traveling is everything I wanted it to be: adventurous, exciting, tiring. I thought Paris would be the best experience ever, but upon visiting, my hopes were shattered. Nonetheless, I can't emphasize enough the beauty of travel, and I'm excited to continue exploring through my twenties.

dating: Mother and Father always told us that we couldn't date until we were in college--which eventually became "after college." I also had a long, long list of desired traits for my "ideal boyfriend."
And at one point, that just flew out the window. I used to fall in love with characters in novels, but realized that even those guys aren't and can't be perfect; on that note, how can anyone in real life be so? I also thought I knew and understood what love was, even though I had no clue what dating would be like. Turns out I just plain knew absolutely nothing, because everything I know now is nothing I fathomed then.

independence: Once you turn 18, you're free from your parents' reign and you can do anything you want!
Nope. Not at all. I'm now almost 22, and my parents still tell me when to sleep, what to eat, how to drive. On the other hand, I won't deny there are still many things I depend on them for, like making me porridge when I feel unwell, giving me advice about work and future plans, providing a roof over my head. I don't know when I'll be completely independent, but I don't think I mind be their dependent for just a little while longer.

drinking: I'll admit, even then, all those fruity-wine commercials intrigued me immensely. I couldn't wait to taste such colorful concoctions.
Just as good as I had expected. But I had no idea that drinking--or anything, really--could get so expensive. I also thought I'd never get drunk. Ha.

I think that about sums up my misconceptions of being twenty-something. Now that I'm doing all that I fantasized about as a child, the one word that comes to mind is disillusioning.

photos from my 21st birthday celebration--sans alcohol


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Things I Wish I'd Known