2016's First Ramble

Isn't it crazy? When I was younger, I couldn't wait to be twenty-something years old, because I knew these would be the prime years. I assumed I'd know everything there is to know about life by this strange, odd age of 24 (okay, more even than odd). Now here I am, a few weeks past my 24th birthday, without a clue about the adult things that I've been hearing about and should do or start doing, the adult things described with words and numbers I never thought to string together as a child:

  • "Are utilities included in the rent?" 
  • "Is 750 square feet big enough?"
  • "401K."
  • "Make a budget."
While I'm getting more involved in the adult life I had long pined for, I admit that a part of me wants to stay at home, where I know I don't have to cook my own meals and can even make requests here and there, where I can assume that if the laundry hamper is overflowing, someone else (i.e. Mom) will likely take care of it, where I am more taken care of than taking care of. But I acknowledge that sooner or later, I must "grow up," and that means physically detaching myself from home for long periods of time.

When I lived in the dorms my freshman and sophomore years at UCLA, I didn't dare call those 10'x10' rooms "home," because home was where I returned every Friday to see my family, friends, and then-S.O. When I moved into my apartment on Rochester Avenue junior year, I was reluctant--and afraid--to call apt. 410 home: reluctant because I wasn't sure how I felt about my roommates, how I felt about the apartment, how I felt about the rent; afraid because I didn't want to emotionally detach myself from my official home, because I felt like I was betraying my parents if I could make a home outside of the one in which they raised me. But after a few months of simultaneously nonchalantly and intentionally calling apt. 410 "my apartment," I began to ease into calling it "home," albeit not "my home." Eventually, "home" became an utterly confusing term--it referred to apt. 410, M's apt. 102, my parents' house, M's parents' house... And at some point in the midst of all that, I learned that home truly is where your heart is. And your heart can be in many places at once, and it isn't a case of betrayal or disloyalty; rather, it's a sign of family, acceptance, love--however differently displayed in the respective realms. 

Me picking fruits with my dad at home
Shortly thereafter, I learned that the term "family" is just as flexible as "home." It's the people who love and accept you at your best and your worst, who give you a hand when the going gets rough and root for you even with the smallest accomplishments. 

Just before I turned 24, I began to practice being assertive and being flexible. I'm more assertive--though not necessarily pushy--about the things I want or don't, more assertive about my feelings and my intentions. I'm more flexible in my attitudes toward others--though I probably should stop yelling at other drivers while I'm driving alone with the windows closed; flexibility in this sense mostly refers to my interactions with and acceptance of people--except irritating drivers, I guess. Even though as a child I thought I'd be all grown up by now, I'm still growing up and learning a lot about not just (adult) life, but also about myself. You know the saying "There's always room for improvement"? Not true in every case, but I do believe it's true for personal development and growth. No matter how old you've just turned or what you've done, there's always room for improvement.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Talking about T1D

Becoming Happier

Things I Wish I'd Known